Kale Cupcakes inspired by Sparkle Stories

DSC04926DSC04918DSC04923DSC04921DSC04925DSC04928DSC04931We love Sparkle Stories and we listen to them every single day. When I say every day I mean EVERY DAY. S has yet to tire of the stories as she can identify with characters because they are almost her age and live a similar lifestyle to ours. V loves them too and has memorized the intro lines to the Martin and Sylvia stories. If you have never heard of Sparkle Stories you can check them out for free on their podcast or they have a free download of one of the stories on their website. You will quickly come to love Sparkle Stories and you too will be listening to them EVERYDAY!

So back to this kale cupcake thing. Well one afternoon S came up to me after listening to Sparkle Stories and asked if we could make kale cupcakes like Martin and Sylvia’s daddy made in the story. I said sure, why not.

I winged it by using my favorite carrot cake recipe and simply pureeing the kale with the oil before mixing it into the flour.  Now we had a good laugh at the batter as it looked like what we could only describe as pond water with goldfish in it. After the cupcakes baked they looked more like dark chocolate. I topped them with a maple sweetened cream cheese frosting. Yummy! You can eat these before dinner or for breakfast and not feel the least bit of guilt. Both girls like them very much. Though they were very filling considering all the fiber between the whole wheat flour and the kale and carrots. These might be the healthiest cupcakes ever baked.

Kale Cupcakes:

• 1 cup of whole wheat flour
  • 1 teaspoon of baking soda
  • 1 teaspoon of baking powder
  • 1 cup of sucnat
  • 1 teaspoon of cinnamon
  • 1/4 teaspoon of cloves
  • 1/4 teaspoon of nutmeg
  • pinch of salt
  • 2 eggs
  • 2/3 cup of coconut oil
  • 3 large kale leaves washed and stem removed
  • 1 large carrot shredded

Preheat your oven to 325 degrees. In a large bowl whisk together all the dry ingredients. Then in a food processor puree the kale and the coconut oil together. Add in the eggs and give a few quick pulses to mix the eggs and the oil. Mix the oil/egg mixture into the dry ingredients and mix with a wooden spoon until there are no clumps of flour left. Finally stir in the carrots.  Scoop batter into a muffin tin lined with cupcake papers. Bake at 325 for 30 minutes. Allow to cool. Frost with maple sweetened cream cheese.

Frosting:

• 8 oz organic cream cheese
  • 1/4 cup of organic butter
  • 1/4 cup of real maple syrup

In a stand mixer mix all of the ingredients together on high until whipped.

This entry was posted in Cooking and Food, Sponsors. Bookmark the permalink.

14 Responses to Kale Cupcakes inspired by Sparkle Stories

1. Lisa says:

Oh, these sound delicious! I think I would have a hard time getting my farm child to eat them – although he surprises me often, so who knows? – but I’m sure he’d gladly help me make them! And I never need an excuse for a sweet treat, so we’ll try them soon!

I didn’t think I would get the girls to eat them either. Nor D. But they all liked them. The spices are definitely needed. Because kale is such strong flavor. But it becomes much more subtle when baked. I think I’ll make them once a season when the kale is really rocking in the garden just for fun.

2. Janet says:

These look good!! Is sucnat a 1:1 ratio with sugar?

3. Hmmm…kale in muffins, eh? Might just have to try it :)

4. aimee says:

I think I might have to try them! And sparkle stories. Madam is really into audio books so i think they would go down well.

Aimee you should definitely test them out! There are way more stories than just the Martin and Sylvia. There are stories for older kids too. Fairy stories and animal stories. Even long car ride stories.

5. Yanic A. says:

They sounds just yummy! I love that you didn’t have to hide the kale from your kids, they asked for it… I picked up my daughter from preschool today and told her I was making fried egg sandwiches for dinner (her favorite) and she looked at me and asked if we could add spinach to the eggs. My heart just fluttered!

Have pinned this recipe an will try it very soon!

Thanks for pinning it! That’s awesome that she asked for spinach too. I can get the girls to eat kale in things but spinach I have a harder time with. I usually have to make spanakopita for them to eat the spinach. I find that if my kids are really hungry then I can get them to eat more greens than if they are sort of hungry.

• Yanic A. says:

Do they like eggs? Cause I can put anything in eggs! Also, I do a lot of veggie pancakes. I’ll make a basic pancake recipe and add shredded carrots, mushrooms, minced greens, zucchini… you name it, I’ve put it in there. Serve that with a spicy tomato sauce for dipping, you are set! Kids will eat pancakes, that is a scientific fact! LOL!

6. Tracey says:

Thank you for this. My baby turns 17 tomorrow so all of my crew is coming for dinner and cake, and now cupcakes too.

7. Oh my goodness, these sound amazing! We’re not fans of Kale (though I don’t believe we’ve had kale that’s been prepared correctly yet so take our opinion with a grain of salt) but this may just be the way we become fans and get some into our diet! I think we’ll give these cupcakes a try soon!

And seriously, what would we do without Sparkle Stories?! They really are such sweet tales, and it’s truly lovely to have stories where the characters live very much like we do. The girls fall asleep listening to one each night and we love to listen to them together too!

Thanks for sharing the recipe! xo