Feeling Peachy

DSC04875
DSC04883DSC04879DSC04877DSC04882DSC04888DSC04884After three failed attempts we finally made it to our favorite local organic orchard yesterday. We were there with one goal in mind, peaches. We were thrilled to see all the trees filled with peaches and we picked and picked and picked. Despite the ants biting our ankles, the huge beetles and the bees, we walked away with almost 40 pounds of peaches.

I love that the girls now look forward to going to these places. They have enough of a memory to be excited when I tell them it’s finally season for a certain fruit or veggie. We try our best to eat our produce only in season and because of that we’ve waited such a long time for peaches. So we’ll enjoy them as much as we can or until we get sick of them and move on to apple season.

My plan for preserving these peaches:

• peach lavender butter
  • dried peach chunks
  • frozen peach slices
  • peach leathers

Any peach recipes you want to share?

This entry was posted in Cooking and Food. Bookmark the permalink.

13 Responses to Feeling Peachy

1. Ivona says:

Those beetles look hungry. I love peaches, I do have one recipe for peach and berry cobbler that I do over ans over its that good.

Those beetles completely freak me out! Glad you beat them out for some peaches.

They freaked me out too. Once and while I would pull a peach that would make a branch move and the beetles would get scared and fly off buzzing and clicking. It scared me a few times!

3. Yay for peaches!! We love them and can’t wait for peach season, only another few weeks :)

Not all the peaches at the orchard were ready either. We’ve have two weeks of rain and clouds which is really wonderful. The only draw back is that it slows down the ripening of peach and tomatoes.

4. We love peaches! Peach season for us isn’t until August sadly so we have to settle for what’s in the local stores (or every now and again for a bit longer) at the farmer’s markets. Needless to say, Grace requested a peaches and cream cake for her birthday yesterday!

Enjoy some local peaches for us! xo

Yummy! For us August is the beginning of apple season! Apple season here runs August to October. Peaches run June/July. Happy Birthday to Grace!

5. amanda says:

oh yum oh yum oh yum. I wish there were more peach orchards around here- there are a bunch in south carolina, but not so many in nc, it seems. oh I do so love peaches, I’m glad you made it out to pick!

we call those big fat beetles june bugs around here~ there are sooooo huge!

6. Leah says:

KC, can you give me details on the location of the orchard, and how much you paid for 40lbs of peaches? My son LOVES canned peaches…One year we picked and I canned about 40lbs worth. It was a lot of work, but he still talks about how yummy those peaches were, I think another picking/canning session is in order. We’re in Tucson, I know there are some orchards around but have only been to Apple Annies many years ago, would love to go somewhere closer & organic!

7. Cordelia says:

those look delicious. we have a peach tree, but I don’t think they taste very good.
    everyone else does, thankfully.
    All I have time to do this year is blanch and freeze. good ’nuff!
    XO

I dried them, froze them and made peach lavender butter. I’m finished. We also ate lots of them fresh. I’d like to have a peach tree that way I could deal with them at a slower pace. Dealing with 40 pounds of peaches in two day by myself is a lot work!