Of bees and lavender

DSC01779 DSC01735 DSC01756This post is full of pictures of two things I have very little experience with: bees and lavender. I love honey and know a little bit about bees from various homesteading books I have, but I have never had the opportunity be around bees in a great number. As for the lavender, I have wrongly hated it for years, having only smelt the fake drugstore lotions drowned in “lavender fragrance”. However, since moving to this house I have spent an  enormous time with both the bees and the flowers.

On a daily basis we go out to see the bees to observe their work and listen to their humming. The most astonishing thing to me is that they could care less about us being there. S often will put her face right into the stalks of flowers to smell them with bees buzzing all around her. I found V once attempting to pet a bee. I gently dissuaded her from doing so by showing her that they were busy at work and we did not want to mess up their rhythm.

I’ve found myself now more then ever wanting to keep bees, feeling no fear with so many bees flying around. They feel so docile like the butterflies that join them in collecting nectar. I think I need to start taking notes about what the bees do while they are on the flowers and see where they go when they leave.

The other day I harvested three bunches of lavender and will dry them for use in scrub salts, pillow sachets, and for cooking. And I’ll most likely make this again.

Tell me about your love or hate of lavender and bees. :)

***Oh yes, two of my favorite bloggers teamed up to bring you one AWESOME summer projects magazine. Check out Alphabet Glue’s Summer Science Special. We’ll be making all of the projects in there, because I think they are too fun!

This entry was posted in Uncategorized. Bookmark the permalink.

11 Responses to Of bees and lavender

1. Daniele says:

Wanting to pet a bee is the cutest thing I have read in a while!

2. Love them both. I was just checking out our lavender yesterday, some of it if ready to harvest. And bees, I love the little guys. We were suppose to get bees this year, but a few things have presented obstacles, mainly some problems with them dying this winter. Fingers crossed for next spring.

Among the normal european honey bees I have also seen what I think are bumble bees. They are quite a bit larger and rounder. I’ll keep my fingers crossed for your bees next spring! :)

3. Amanda Pedro says:

I can’t wait for ours to blossom. I’ll be making some of these with fresh lavender instead of at the end of the season. http://byhookandthread.blogspot.ca/2012/08/lavender-wand-tutorial.html

4. Dawn Suzette says:

This is so dreamy KC! Makes me happy to know you have this right out your backdoor.
    I love them both! We had a huge lavender bush in our front yard in Cali. It buzzed with bees!
    F used to watch them with wonder. One day when she was about two she came up to me with bee in hand, holding it by its wings. We talked about how that could hurt and scare the bee… And when they are scared they might sting… And on and on about how bees do their work & live their lives.
    And so begn her love of insects…
    Wonderful your girls have this!
    Thanks about AG! xo

I had tried my best even through my hibi-jibi moments to instill a love of insects in my girls. We’ve seen so many very large insects in Tucson that they are hardly phased by the tiny spiders we see here. I’ve very glad they have no fear of bees either. That shows a lot of trust in the natural world.

5. Renee says:

I love lavender and bees. Funnily enough, one of the freelance projects I am working on at the moment is a book about bees :)

Enjoy all that French lavender…mmm!

Love both! Our lavender is just blooming here too. Funny to think of the same things happening, half the world away.

That’s the cool thing about plants in the Northern Hemisphere! I just removed all the buds today from the stems. So much Lavender!!