Bonjour!

IMG_1716

Watching the sunset from 39,000ft.

DSC00637

Playing with new silks bought just for this trip from Gypsy Forest.

DSC00647Her second time waiting for a plane at Heathrow Airport.
DSC00648

Late night welcome snack from the owner of the Hotel. And yes we did finish the bottle of red wine! The bread was outstanding though management sent his apologies for it not being fresh: only made that morning!

IMG_1721

The view down the three flights of stairs to the lobby of our hotel.

DSC00652Exploring a new world.
DSC00658

The park we will visit on a daily basis.

DSC00667Exploring a marine in Nice and looking at some fancy boats!

Hi Everyone! We are alive and well. The flight out went fine with only minor meltdowns on the last twenty minutes into Nice. We are staying temporarily in the tiny town of Valbonne. It’s up in the hills. So lovely.

Here are some details of just one day to help you live vicariously!

• Most shops are closed on Mondays *sad trombone*
  • It’s cold here!
  • There is so much green!! They have these things called trees and the trees have these leaves on them that don’t hurt you when you touch them.
  • The roads and drivers are crazy and are so many roundabouts our GPS once said, “Exit roundabout, then enter roundabout.”
  • The bread is amazing, the pastries are made with real butter, and yes you should try them!
  • My legs already hurt from pushing a stroller uphill
  • My French is already improving from yesterday
  • While trying to buy lunch I had to use hand signals as the girl did not speak English or Italian
  • One of the boxes we sent to France made it, so far
  • Trying to figure out a way to have two little ones sit at a French café for dinner and also have a pleasant time

More to come!

**Note if you are new to this blog see this post and this post.

This entry was posted in Life Notes, Photographic Thoughts. Bookmark the permalink.

31 Responses to Bonjour!

1. Sara Marinara says:

EEEEEE! I am so excited. I went to check your blog to see if you had any updates. What wonderful pictures. I am so excited for you. I am so jealous of your access to French butter and French flour. When you make something delicious with 5,000 calories, think of me!! :)

2. Sara Kaplan says:

I think we’re going to have to go back to France..now we have someone to visit! I miss the pastries…full of butter, but not too sweet!

3. Dawn Suzette says:

Love. Love. That sunset shot! xo

That sunset was beyond amazing. It turned the reddest of reds I have ever seen. I finally understand what D has been telling me abou the atmosphere actually being red and not blue or clear.

4. Melissa says:

Squee!!!! You made it!! The food is amazing and everything is sooo fresh. It’s awesome. By the way, when fall rolls around, those leaves fall on the ground and if you put them in a big pile, they are great fun to jump into :)

I know how exciting will that be?! There is a river and trails just around here somewhere. I need to find how to get to them on foot.

5. *kate says:

What an adventure! I love the apologies for the morning’s bread. Enjoy! (Especially the bread.) ;-)

6. Yay, you made it! Now the exploration begins. Have fun setting in.

7. Karen says:

Oh wow. What an adventure! I am without a doubt living vicariously!

8. Hannah says:

The adventure of a life time!!!

9. karen says:

So glad you are there and what lovely views! I believe that you will be in shape for the summer with that hill and a stroller :) Have fun!!

10. Leah says:

You’re gonna love it there! My husband and I spent nearly 3 glorious weeks near there way back when we were dating and falling in love…some of my best (and most relaxing) memories ever! If you’re longing for cactus, go see the Village of Eze (sp?)–they have an “exotic” garden–I was expecting something tropical and lush, but it was nothing but cactus! (Not so “exotic” for this Tucson gal!) Looking forward to seeing you settle in!

I brought a photobook of saguaros taken by Mark Klett with me to remember cactus! Thanks for the tip though I will go check out the garden sometime for fun.

Eat a particularly decadent pastry, just for me! Looks like you guys are settling in. How are the little ones doing with the time change?

I will certainly eating something extraordinary. I need to go to Monaco. The pastries here in Valbonne are more country style, nothing too lavish.

12. Renee says:

Hurray! How lovely to hear from you and share your initial fun adventures – am sure there will be more to come. Oooh la la :) Take care and have fun. PS – mmmmm…and yes, French pastries. Yum!

13. deserthomespun says:

so glad you made it safely! enjoy life – france is wonderful!

14. Amy says:

Lovely pictures! I am a wee bit jealous, you know how I feel about croissants ;) Much love to all, looking forward to the next post!

15. krkennedy30 says:

So, so excited for you! Hard to believe you are there since it was just last week we were saying goodbye in my driveway. Almond croissants are my favorite – yum!

Was it really a week?! Seems like a life time ago. Just today S says to me, “Mama I thought I would be older when we got to France!”