Yarn along

20130113-213107.jpg

While driving away from the Grand Canyon last week my mom says to me, “Over at Cameron Trading Post they have yarn hanging from the ceiling.” I replied, “Is it for sale?” and she said surely. My fingers began to tingle at the thought of what kind of hand spun yarns awaited me. For 50 miles I thought about the yarn and what I could make from it.

When we arrived at the trading post I made my way directly back to the grocery store by passing all the lovely handmade native american baskets and pottery, along with obscene tourist tchotchkes. When I got there I immediately looked up to see skein upon skein of yarn hanging from huge wooden cross beams on nails as long as my fingers. Now imagine me on the navajo reservation with my head titled all the way back, in a grocery store squinting to see 10 feet in the air above me which yarn I would buy. After 5 minutes of uncomfortable looking around and feigning like I knew what I was doing I walked over to the young store clerk, a girl not much younger then me, and asked her how much the yarn cost. She says with out a blink, “$6.90 a skein”. I asked her if they were made from local wool and handmade and she replied yes and that a local woman had made them. When I remembered the price I just about snorted with glee.

Now here comes the best part, my mother being a tour guide has store create at this trading post out in the middle of nowhere Arizona, so she says, “Buy as many as you like.” My heart skipped a few beats. The store clerk asked which ones I wanted and I wasn’t quite sure so she handed me  a rectangular card punched with holes, through which color sample had been tied. (I should have photographed it but they don’t like photos in the store.) I spent a good ten minutes trying to decide while my mother entertained the girls by allowing them to chime all the wind chimes in the store…. In the end I chose two skeins of each of the colors you see in the picture above. Rounding out at just under $100.

What will I do with it all? The magenta will become a Tiny Tea Leaves for S, the grey a hat for D and the rest I’m still undecided. What would you make?

Right now I am not reading much, just catching up on the backlog of wonderful blog posts you all write!

Joining Ginny for Yarn Along

This entry was posted in Handmade/homemade, Sewing and Crafts. Bookmark the permalink.

26 Responses to Yarn along

1. karen says:

how wonderful to buy local yarn, what a fabulous find!! What about a cowl? Or maybe mitts? Or a shawl? Ravelry I’m sure will give you endless ideas in their pattern search.

Score! I think you need a “Honey Cowl” in that green.

That “Honey Cowl” looks very nice. I just down loaded the pattern. Thanks for the tip. I don’t own any cowls either…

• Lisa Coffee says:

I’ve been working on the honey cowl and I love knitting it. The pattern is super-easy. I, too wanted a bright green but couldn’t find the perfect shade so I went with a raspberryish color. I’m loving that orange! Have fun with it! What a great find!

3. Kelly J. R. says:

What a find!!! I would love to see how the magenta/purple skein knits out.

Like a diamond in the rough. I had been going into that store for years as a kid whenever my mom’s tours would pass through. But I was never interested in knitting then.

4. heathermama says:

woohoo! what a great score on yarn. :) how exciting, all the new projects just waiting to be made. <3

5. *kate says:

Ohhh, what a find! They all look gorgeous – such great colors. I can’t wait to see what you decide to make with them :)

6. Dawn Suzette says:

What fun! I love those kind of places… Looking forward to your seeing your new knit creations!

7. Alisa says:

oh my you are one lucky knitter!!! What a find!!! Such yummy colors!!

8. What a great find, and such lovely yarn. Hmm…what to knit, cowl, shawl, fingerless mitts..the ideas are endless. Have fun!

I was thinking about a few sets of mittens for the girls. The cotton ones we have from Target are rubbish in the cold. And maybe a felt bowl or two.

9. Heather says:

I would have squealed out loud! I may just have to add this to our must visit spots. Perhaps a day trip soon. My husband has a penchant for them. Hmm…I would go for a cowl or fingerless mitts. Or since the cold snap seems to be ending, a few felted bowls.

Heather you should definitely go check it out. They have like 30 colors! I was thinking doing some felted bowls as well.

10. Tara says:

Oh my gosh… those colors are amazing! Lucky, lucky you.

11. lori says:

oh! my heart skipped reading this too, what a thrill. enjoy your beautiful finds!

12. Squeeee! I would have been in heaven. HEAVEN! I don’t know what I’d do with it… roll in it’s goodness for a start! Lucky you!