Yarn Along

Here in the desert I don’t feel much need for knitting. In the middle of winter we’re luck if it hits 45 degrees at night. However I found this amazing skein of yarn at the yarn shop while looking for doll hair for V’s doll and I couldn’t help but buy it. It screamed at me take me home and make me into a hat. So I took it home. I’ve been searching for the right pattern for a long time and I finally found it! Tonight when the girls go to sleep I’ll cast it on and hopefully get it done before winter, one row at a time.

I’m reading Love and Logic for Early Childhood. I’ve read a lot of AP style parenting books over the past three years and many of them call to me but most of the strategies I haven’t been able to carry out with S in a way that really works. So as a last-ditch attempt to get some help I checked this book out from the library. I can honestly say it has changed my perspective on how to talk to my children. The first and main rule is empathy over anger/frustration. This was huge for me! S has really opened up to this. Our ability to talk to one another has really expanded in the last two days. I don’t want to dive to far into explaining it because I’m not done with the book yet, but it’s easy to read I would recommend it if you find yourself getting frustrated all too often.

Hooking up with Ginny for Yarn Along

This entry was posted in Sewing and Crafts. Bookmark the permalink.

14 Responses to Yarn Along

1. Angela says:

That is a lovely colorway. Have you read How to Talk So Kids Will Listen and Listen So Kids Will Talk? Also a great read for understanding how to empathize with your kiddo’s feelings and communicate effectively…

2. heathermama says:

that yarn will look great for that hat. (did that even make sense?? lol)
    i love a parenting book that really helps open up your way of thinking. i might have to check out that book.

3. Kate says:

I’ll have to look for that book. I feel like I’m in a major parenting slump (as odd as that sounds) and need something new to snap me out of it. This sounds like just the thing :)
    I LOVE the colorway of your yarn. It will be a gorgeous hat.

4. Your yarn is sooo yummy, and that pattern choice is lovely! This week I’m sharing a Sunday Sweater test knit. :)

5. Lovely yarn KC, can’t wait to see the hat.

6. Lisa Coffee says:

I have friends who love the love and logic approach. I haven’t explored it much yet. Parenting is like making soup: a little bit of this, a little bit of that, a bit of intuition, a bit of “let’s try this” and hopefully you end up with something wonderful.

I feel like most of this whole raising kids has to do with a method of teaching that works for me. Something that I feel comfortable with and can put into practice without second guessing myself. I always hear that parenting is about confidence even if you have no idea what you are doing.

I agree though that parenting is like a minestrone soup a little bit of everything because what works one day might not work well another.

7. lori says:

your yarn is really pretty and will make such a cute hat!

i’ve enjoyed reading all the comments and thoughts on parenting,it is truly a journey with many paths isn’t it?